sociality
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The current state of things make me want to kick a puppy....

+5
Queen
momo
A Wasted Life
tristis
Xeno_Predator
9 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The current state of things make me want to kick a puppy.... - Page 9 Empty Re: The current state of things make me want to kick a puppy....

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 pm

'ello thar
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

The current state of things make me want to kick a puppy.... - Page 9 Empty Re: The current state of things make me want to kick a puppy....

Post  Jack Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 pm

hi
Jack
Jack

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  reichou Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 pm

hey
reichou
reichou
the ±

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

So uh, anyone gonna post an actual sentence? >_>
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  momo Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 pm

no
momo
momo
the ¤/the M

Number of posts : 2881

Back to top Go down

Post  reichou Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm

negatory
reichou
reichou
the ±

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:26 pm

yes
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  reichou Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm

who?
reichou
reichou
the ±

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 pm

o_O We haven't had this many people on at once in months!

And you people can't even conjure up a simple conversation. For shame.
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 pm

him. XD
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeno_Predator Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 pm

You do not want me to conjure up a coherent paragraph.
Xeno_Predator
Xeno_Predator
Champ

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Go on, give it a shot.
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  momo Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 pm

that reminds me. Xeno and AWL dont get along very well btw
momo
momo
the ¤/the M

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 pm

You just don't understand the bromance we've got going on here.
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 pm

lol ok good to know
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Hey all.
Queen
Queen

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:53 pm

hiya
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 pm

Very Happy He have 8! Oh and hey queen! <_<
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeno_Predator Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Today's morning lecture was about utilising the Schrodinger equation to describe the behaviour of a particle in quantum terms in one dimension but disregarding the time factor (for now). Essentially we were looking at one part out of the whole equation, which concerns the wave function. The mathematical model demonstrated how when we know the position of the particle we cannot know it's momentum, and vice versa. "Position" in this case is the modulus of a solution to the wave function which consisted of a real number and a complex (or imaginary) number, which becomes a probability factor instead of one precise number. Incidentally the probability distribution, after linear combination of interfering waves, show a distinct pattern of particles (photons, for argument's sake and for them having no mass) which represent energy levels. On a side note, photons are totally awesome because they have no mass yet still has momentum (a concept explored in the use of "Solar Sails").
When applying the distribution pattern to an atom, the idea of electron orbitals became clear. The minima of the wave function represents 0 probability of electrons being present, while the maxima represents the highest electron density in the region. With a recurring pattern, different orbitals are derived in order of increasing energy. The energy levels are calculated by another part of the Schrodinger equation and can be observed that it changes according to an exponential factor, which was found to relate to Planck's constant and thus explains the photoelectric effect. In essence this effect describes how a surface can generate energy when a light of sufficient intensity is shone upon it. Practical application of this can be seen with solar cells. Any ways, I'm starting to seriously veer off on a tangent to the concept of proton behaviour according to the photoelectric effect here so I'll stop. A more related example would be diffraction of a laser beam by a grating smaller than the wavelength of laser used. This causes a diffraction pattern consisting of maxima and minima much like the aforementioned electron distribution pattern. The big point here is that electrons are particles. Photons are waves. Yet, they behave in the same way at the nanoscale. This demonstrates the wave/particle duality nature of matter.
Xeno_Predator
Xeno_Predator
Champ

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Ugh wall of text.

Tl;dr please.
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  reichou Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 pm

the dude totally missed it...
reichou
reichou
the ±

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Hello to you too, Xeno.
Queen
Queen

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  momo Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm

herro queen
momo
momo
the ¤/the M

Back to top Go down

Post  A Wasted Life Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm

I actually read through that and did a decent job of keeping up even though I haven't heard of more than a few of those terms. >_>
A Wasted Life
A Wasted Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeno_Predator Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Queen.

TL;DR version: matter has a corresponding wave nature.
Xeno_Predator
Xeno_Predator
Champ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next